101 California Street, Suite 2450
San Francisco, CA 94111
Phone: (415) 982-1296
Fax: (415) 651-8725





Is there phone or e-mail access?

Yes, both sites have access to email and phones. 

In Mexico, there are internet Cafes downtown in Cuernavaca and in Mazatepec that provide internet access for a nominal fee. Make sure you have internet type email account like hotmail or yahoo.  However, these are quite slow, and frequently crash.  So, the best advice is to type all your emails on a disc and then copy them and send them.

In South Africa, the university residence at Hammenskraal, and on the campus of the University of Pretoria, students have free internet access.  You should ask the residence director at Hammenskraal for access, as the computers are kept in an office whose doors are kept locked.

As for the phone, it is best you carry your own cell phone making sure it has international access (let your wireless company know about the place you'll be visiting).  In addition, you can buy phone cards that allow you to make phone calls locally and internationally. 

What IASE is and is not?

What are the requirements of the Service Learning/Experiential Program?

What if I am not conversant in Spanish, or the native language of the site?

What if I am conversant in Spanish? Do I still need to take Language lessons?

I am not a medical student. Do I still need a preceptor sponsor from my college/university?

What day should I arrive? Where should I fly in?

How much leisure time do I have?

How much spending money should I bring?

What should I bring to the site?

Is there anything special I need to bring?

Is there phone or e-mail access?

Am I covered by Health Insurance?

Where will I stay during the program?

What is the Service Learning/Experiential Program?