101 California Street, Suite 2450
San Francisco, CA 94111
Phone: (415) 982-1296
Fax: (415) 651-8725





Am I covered by Health Insurance?

You will not be covered for health insurance  with the IASE program;  therefore, it is very important that you have your own health insurance coverage for the duration of your stay.

Be sure to check with your insurance company before leaving the US to find out what their policy is for international medical coverage.  Whichever health insurance you choose, you will still need to pay cash for any medical services (some hospital take credit cards). 

Upon your return to the US, you will need to send in a claim form to your insurance for the medical services rendered. Most health insurances cover what they consider emergency medical conditions.  Make sure you understand what that means for your insurance.

Nevertheless, bring a copy of your policy identity card, and a copy of your claim forms, at least you would have the group number in case the insurance company asks for it while your outside the country.

What IASE is and is not?

What are the requirements of the Service Learning/Experiential Program?

What if I am not conversant in Spanish, or the native language of the site?

What if I am conversant in Spanish? Do I still need to take Language lessons?

I am not a medical student. Do I still need a preceptor sponsor from my college/university?

What day should I arrive? Where should I fly in?

How much leisure time do I have?

How much spending money should I bring?

What should I bring to the site?

Is there anything special I need to bring?

Is there phone or e-mail access?

Am I covered by Health Insurance?

Where will I stay during the program?

What is the Service Learning/Experiential Program?